Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Wednesday night debacle

The Chicago Cubs had won 8 out of 9 games going into Wednesday nights game. In those games the table setters had been Jerry Hairston and Todd Walker. So what does Dumbass Dusty do? Baker benches Hairston and puts Jody Gerut in the leadoff spot. I give up boys and girls. Whatever Jerry Hairston did must be really bad. I know JH is not the long term leadoff answer. But if the alternative is Jeromy Burnitz in CF and Jody Gerut in RF leading off, I'll take Hairston misjudging a few fly balls and missing a sign or three.

Wood I?
Kerry Wood left another game early. This time it was after three innings with shoulder stiffness. Enough is enough. Shut the guy down for the year. Hope he gets healthy this off season (I said "HOPE" not "COUNT ON HIM".) In the meantime go get a couple of stud starting pitchers that will eat innings and not be fragile like Wood and Prior. If Kerry comes back next year he'll be a great fifth starter. If he's injured again it won't matter because you were not counting on him to anchor the staff.

Triple Crown?
I am 33 years old and I cannot remember a Major League Player winning the Triple Crown. That's because it has not happened in my lifetime.(the last MLB winner was Yaz in '67. The last NL winner was Joe Medwick in '37) While it is highly unlikely that DLee will finish the season leading the NL in average, homeruns and rbi. It is incredible to me that he leads all three categories on July 20th. I can remember some great individual seasons by Cub players. Dawson in '87, Sandberg in '90, Sammy in '01, and Sammy in '98. Lee's season right now is more complete than each one of those. He is a joy to watch play each day. It would really be fun to see him with a chance at the Triple Crown come September.

No comments: