Monday, January 02, 2006

Shout Out to Talking Chop

During a little blog surfing I found an interview with John Schuerholz. The link is to part III and the best part for me was the answer to the first question.

Joe Hamrahi (JH): Looking back at the acquisition of Tim Hudson, it appears like
you made a great deal. Hindsight is always a great thing, however, but with Dan
Meyer injured, and Juan Cruz and Charles Thomas making limited progress, you
have to be happy with how that deal turned out.


John Schuerholz (JS): I don't look at things that way. I just never do. My view is that when you make a deal, the most important thing is to make your team better. The next most important thing is to make the other team better...because if you do that often enough, there's going to be a lot of guys lined up to do a deal with you. That's
always been my philosophy in the 25 years I've been general manager. Why would
you want to do anything else? So somebody writes something or says something
about what a steal we made...I don't care about making steals. I care about
making our team better. And the second most important thing is that, hopefully, the other team gets better.



Interesting philosophy.

No comments: