Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ultimatum

Here are some warm thoughts to make Cub fans worry on this snowy/windy winter day.

As Uncle Lou prepares to start his first Cub camp, this headline flashes from the morning Tribune: Cubs' Zambrano: 'I must go' if no deal. Referring to himself in the third person(LMAO), Big Z tells the fans and more importantly Cruller Jim that there are only 47 shopping days left if the Cubs hope to have Z's services beyond 2007.
"I'm ready to sign, and I would do my job anyway with the Cubs this year," Zambrano said. "Whatever happens, I don't want to know [anything] about a contract during the season. I want to sign with the Cubs before the season starts. If they don't sign me, sorry, but I must go. That's what Carlos Zambrano thinks."


Next Carlos makes it very clear that he wants Barry Zito type money:


"When you're a great pitcher and have talent, you deserve the money no matter who gives it to you," he said. "Zito is a great pitcher. Good for him he has that contract, and I think that will help me."


The last line of the article leaves no doubt as to who these comments are aimed at:


"[Cubs general manager] Jim [Hendry] spent a lot of money. I hope he has more for 'Big Z.'"


I think this comment says it all. The modern day athlete really is a hard person for Joe Six-Pack to understand. We really want to like these guys for what they do on the field. But off the field...YUCK. When I see an athlete talking about himself in the third-person and making demands it just makes me wonder: who is advising this guy?

Ahhh, it's the Cubs, what would spring training be without a little controversey.

No comments: